Physician Asthma Care Education (PACE):
The Physician Asthma Care Education (PACE) program is a seminar to improve physician awareness, attitudes, ability, and application of communication and therapeutic skills for asthma. The content of this program has been evaluated and has been effective in improving long-term patient asthma outcomes (Clark, NM et al. Impact of education for physicians on patient outcomes. Pediatrics. 1998; 101:831-6).
Participants of the PACE program will be provided with an asthma education “tool kit” that can be customized to their practice, specific communication strategies to improve efficiency and patients’ asthma self management, and information on how to document, code, and bill for asthma education counseling.
Once providers are trained, they have access to LBACA’s services such as the Community Health Worker program, educational materials and additional training for their staff. For more information, contact LBACA to find the next available PACE training date, or to set up staff training to be held at your convenience.
For more information, visit the PACE Website.
Medical Assistant Training:
A Nurse Practitioner is available to train Medical Assistants and office staff with preference given to (provider offices.) This training is designed to improve basic asthma knowledge, awareness of local asthma resources, effective communication, and identifying patients for referral to LBACA’s asthma programming resources including:
- Community Health Worker (CHW) Program
- Asthma Resource Center
- Asthma Classes
- Local Health Fairs
- Various Asthma Related Activities
The training is one hour arranged at a convenient time and location for Medical Assistants and office staff, and they will learn how to:
- Be asthma counselors for children with asthma and their families
- Provide education and demonstrate the use of an inhaler and spacer
- Assist physicians in the completion of an Asthma Action Plan, review it with the family and act as a link between the CHW and the physician office or clinic, for patients requiring more intensive intervention
- Link patients requiring less intensive intervention to group education and resources at the Asthma Resource Center. Contact us to schedule an MA training
Download MA Training Flyer (pdf).